Michael W. Maurizio (In Memoriam)
Mike passed away in December of 2022. Mike was a lifelong resident of Southern Illinois. He was raised in Carbondale and graduated from Carbondale Community High School in 1966.
Upon graduation he enlisted in the U.S. Army and served from 1966 to 1969. During his time in the Army he was a Drill Instructor at Ft. Knox, KY and later assigned to the 1st of the 4th and 1st of the 1st Cavalry Units while in Viet Nam.
Upon his honorable discharge from the Army, he became a member of the Carbondale Police Department. He served in that capacity from 1969 to 1981, rising to the rank of Sergeant. While a police officer he attended John A. Logan College, graduating in 1972 and then Southern Illinois University-C, graduating in 1978.
In 1981 he resigned from the Carbondale Police Department and enrolled in the SIU-C School of Law. He graduated in 1984. He has worked for John P. Womick & Associates, Ltd; was a sole practitioner; was a partner in Applegate & Maurizio; was a partner in Ronald E. Osman & Associates, Ltd., the principle in Maurizio Law Firm, P.C. and now the Senior Partner in Maurizio & Sharpe.
Mike had a general law practice with an emphasis in Family Law. He had extensive training as a family law mediator and was one of the original members of the Mediation Association of Southern Illinois (MASI). On two separate occasions, he served as its President.
Mike was married to Sandra, a retired professor in the Dental Hygiene Program at SIU. They have two children, Tina and Paul, and many grandchildren as well as great grandchildren.
- Illinois, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1990
- Southern Illinois University School of Law, Carbondale, Illinois
- J.D. - 1984
- Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois
- B.S. - 1975
- Major: Administration of Justice
Professional Associations And Memberships
- ISBA, 1984 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- United States Army, 1966 to 1969
- Carbondale Illinois Police Department, Sergeant , 1969 to 1981
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Directors - Dispute Resolution Institute, Inc.
- Certified IL Conceal Carry Instructor